This section is responsible to ensure media coverage of the Government through Public Relation Officers (PROs) , to feed back to government dignitaries in the form of Press Clippings, Summary and Media Reports, to arrange Press Briefings Seminars/ Discussions and other tarsus assigned by high-ups.
- Projects positive image of government through proper and wholesome publicity of
its policies, welfare-oriented programmes and day to day activities through
- Counters negative views/propaganda against national inteCountering negative
views/propaganda against national interest
- Government Publicity / projection of ministers/departments through Public
Relation Officers (PROs)
- Provides feed back to Chief Minister, Governor and other government high ups in
form of Press Summary and Press Clippings and Media reports on daily
- Arranges press conferences, press briefings, seminars, media interviews, Radio/TV Panel discussion programmes
- Contributes articles on important issues
- Prepares of speeches / talking points for Chief Minister, Governor, Ministers
and other important government functions
- Manages Inter-Provincial visits of Journalists delegations
- Issues Accreditation cards to journalists
- Prepares cases for the financial assistance to journalists
- Manages coverage at Divisional / District level trough fieled offices of
Directorate General Public Relations
- Public Relations Offices attached with Chief Minister, Governor, Minsiter,
Advisors ensure their media coverage
In Directorate General Public Relations the Films Publications Section has been offered an important role since when it was established. This department has been working on the production of documentaries/news reels (Sairbeen) to Project policies and developmental activities of the Punjab Government through electronic media i.e. cinema houses and mobile cinema units etc. Film section has mobile unit which used to exhibit Sairbeen/newsreels to create awareness about the government’s policies in the remote areas of the Punjab.
This section also has mandate of conducting video coverage of all Government dignitaries and delivery of Video Footage to different channels. It also ensures non-linear editing (NLE) of visual coverage of Chief Minister/ Governor and other Officials and sends to channels through File Transfer Protocol (FTP) System.
- Ensures video coverage of all the function of Chief MinEnsures video coverage of all the functions of Chief Minister, governor,
Ministers and other high ups
- Ensures delivery of footage of government functionaries’ activities to electric
- Non linear editing of visual coverage of Chief Minister and other Government
high ups and sends it to T.V channels through File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
- Produces documentaries, news reels to project policies and developmental
activities of the government
The Advertisement Section is responsible to release Government advertisement in national, regional Press and electronic Media, this section issue NOC to newspapers for publications of special supplements. It also prepares print/ electronic media campaigns for Punjab Government.
Checking of stall value Printing Press of newspapers / periodicals to determine their circulation position for ABC and inclusion in Central Media List.
- Releases and makes placement of govt. advertisements in national, regional press and electronic
media, as per federal government policy
- Isses NOC for special supplements to newspapers
- Prepares special electronic, print media campaigns for government departments
- Gauges of stall value of newspapers / periodicals to determine their circulation
position for inclusion in 'Central Media List'
This section enforces regulation and rules of Punjab Government to maintain discipline in the office, prepare working paper for DAC, SDAC, PAC, DPC and PSB etc.
It also maintains auditing, budgeting / accounts of the Directorate General. it also deal the correspondence with Administrative Department as well as lower formation of the Directorate General Public Relations.
- Enforcement of Rules and Regulations
- Maintenance of budget and Accounts
- Auditing and Checking of accounts of Divisional / District Information Offices
- Preparation of working paper for Department Accounts Committee (DAC), Special DAC
and PAC meeting
- Preparation of working papers for promotion of officers from BS-16 & above
- Preparation of working papers for promotion of official from BS-1 to 15 and 16 in
respect of Superintendents
- Dealing with the cases of earned leave, pension, GP Fund and government references
- Correspondence with the subordinate offices
- To receive the applications for titles of Newspapers/ Periodicals under the Press, Newspapers, News Agencies and Books Registration Ordinance, 2002
To receive the applications for titles of Printing Presses.
- To receive the applications for the change of Publisher-ship / Keeper-Ship / Periodicity / Printer and Language.
- Under the Press, Newspapers, News Agencies and Books Registration ordinance, 2002, the gratis copies of the periodicals are received by the Press Laws branch to check and monitor the regularity of the Newspapers / periodicals. A certificate is issued in this regard on the request of the publisher.
- Under the Press, Newspapers, News Agencies and Books Registration Ordinance, 2002, the title of a Printing Press is allotted on the basis of province, so the branch itself after verification and availability issues NOC to the applicant.
- To maintain the record of declarations of Newspapers / Periodicals & Printing Presses received from the D.C’s in Punjab.
- In case of non-publication/non-receipt of gratis copies of the Newspapers / periodicals, a Notice is served upon to the Publisher / Printer. If the publisher does not respond the notice, a notice is served in which a fine of Rs. 100/= is levied for each default which is to be deposited under a prescribed head of account.
- If the publisher even does not respond after receiving the Notice, it is presumed that the publisher has ceased its publication, so an annulment advice is sent to the concerned DC for annulment of the declaration.
- The branch provide supports regarding regularity report of the Newspapers / Periodicals who apply for inclusion in Central Media List for advertisements and Audit Bureau of Circulation.
In 2002, the Press, Newspapers, News Agencies and Books Registration Ordinance, 2002 was introduced by the Federal Government, for all Provinces.
The 18th amendment was made by the Federal Government on19-04-2010 duly approved by the National Assembly and after the 18th amendment, the Press, Newspapers, News Agencies and Books Registration Ordinance, 2002 has become the provincial subject.
- The DGPR office by making few necessary amendments, has submitted the bill for adoption. Which is still under process in the Information & Culture Department.
ACTION AGAINST NON-PUBLICATION UNDER THE PRESS ORDINANCE 2002
Where a newspaper after publication is not published continuously.
In the case of a daily newspaper, for sixteen days in a calendar month.
In the case of a weekly newspaper, for eight weeks in a calendar year.
- In the case of a fortnightly newspaper, for two months.
- In the case of a monthly newspaper, for four months.
- In the case of a quarterly newspaper, for six months/
- In the case of a six-monthly newspaper, for one year
Development Section , as a matter of fact is the backbone of any organization. This department works on the planning of new projects , giving special consideration to effective execution of the projects in the pipeline.
- This section fulfills the current needs and requirements of the field offices (
divisional and district ).
- Proactive Planning for the office equipment, vehicles and furniture of the offices
is the responsibility of this section .
- Initiatives for the office building constructions and land acquisition is also dealt
by this section.
- Development of Electronic Media Cell at DGPR office.
- Preparation and submission of PC-1 to the Departmental Development Sub-Committee
(DDSC) has been initiated by this section.
- The Divisional as well as District offices are trying to approach the concerned
DCOs for the acquisition of the piece of land for the construction of the office
building and submitted PC-1 in this regard.
- Eleven field offices of this Directorate General have been acquired the land.
- Divisional office Rawalpindi and DG Khan have submitted rough cost estimate including
PC-1 for the construction of office building , which would be submitted in the forthcoming
meeting of DDSC Hence this section looks into planning and effective execution of
all the projects and new developments of the organization. This section is headed
by Director Development.
This section is responsible to maintain register for books/ periodicals and pamphlets. It maintain proper catalogue of all boooks being printed in the province. This is highly sensitive section from the view point of the functions and nature of duties. Thissection is supposed to administer Press Laws relating to books, pamphlets, leaflets postersand propose actions against the defaulters of Law, for publishing objectionable writings.
As many as 13 reputed political, national and international magazines are thoroughly scrutinized in this section and a comprehensive report is prepared for the high-ups for informing them about the current situation of the country.
- The major functions of this section are the scrutiny of books, pamphlets, posters
etc. The proscription actions against objectionable books are taken in consultation
with the Home Department. It proposes action against the printer / publishers who
violate the provisions of Press, Newspapers, ews Agencies Books Registration Ordinance,
2002. Such cases are referred to Home Department,DCO’s and Judicial Magistrates
in the Punjab.
- The gratis copies of the books printed/published in Punjab, received in Book Section
under Section 21 of the Press, Newspapers, News Agencies Books Registration Ordinance,
2002 are registered under Section 37 of the Ordinance called a catalogue of Books.
The printers who failed to supply gratis copies, legal action is initiated against
- The rules framed under the Press Ordinance called Books Newspapers (Scrutiny) rules,
1966 are also administered by this Section. Under these rules every printer is under
obligation to forward a monthly return of his press every month. Actions are taken
against such printers who failed to do so.
- This Section is also supposed to administer an Ordinance called the West Pakistan
Publication of Books (Regulation Control) Ordinance, 1969. Under this Ordinance
no person without the permission of the Government can re-print/publish any book
which is first printed or published in a foreign country. This Ordinance was promulgated
to check the subversive, anti-Pakistan Islam material. Actions are taken against
the printers / publishers who violate the law.
This section maintains reference of Press Clippings/ record of newspapers. It also deal the correspondence with Submission of clippings from newspapers as feed back to the Governor, Punjab, Provincial Minister and Administrative Secretaries.
- Maintains reference of press clippings/periodicals on various subjects / issues
- Submits of clippings from newspapers to Chief Minister, Governor as and when
required by concerned authorities
This section ansure provison of Public Address System for offical meetings of Government and Maintainance/ repair of offical vahicals for smooth functioning of the DGPR
- Arranges Public Address System (Sound Services) for official meetings of VVIPs
in the Province
- Projection of documentaries through Mobile Cinema Units (MCU)
- Maintanis official vehicles
Maintenance of official vehicles
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SECTION
Information technology (IT) has turn out to be essential and integral part of every public
and private sector organization. From multi-national corporations which maintain
mainframe systems and databases to small individual units that may own a sole
computer, IT plays a vital role. The major objective behind the omnipresent use of
computer technology everywhere can best be determined by looking at how it is being
used across the world.
The Information Technology Section at Directorate General Public Relations (DGPR)
was initiated in the month of September 2015 under the “Up-Gradation & Strengthening
of Directorate General Public Relations, Punjab” scheme. It is headed by a Deputy
Director (IT). As a vital wing of DGPR, it performs following functions.
New website is created for the disbursement of important information from
Punjab government to the general public. The information includes
- Chief Minister’s pictures of all important events
- Chief Minister’s video speeches and video interviews on different occasion and on TV channels
- All English and Urdu Handouts issued by Public Relations Officers
- Press Releases issued by Punjab government
- Punjab government TVCs and video documentaries
- Video clips regarding important events of Punjab government
- Policies of various departments of Punjab government
- Ordinances, Acts, Rules and Regulations of Punjab government
- Creation of BLOG to disperse two way communication with general public
- BLOG allows general public give their feedback on Punjab government
projects and schemes, and initiatives
CHIEF MINISTER’S DIGITAL ARCHIVE
New digital archive has been created to store all video data related to the coverage of Chief Minister in electronic media. It includes
- Official visits of Chief minister of different cities and countries
- Inauguration ceremonies attended by Chief Minister
- Speeches and Interviews of Chief Minister on TV channels
Currently 1600 video records are stored in digital archive since inception of this scheme. Previously there was no digital achieve present in digital form.
Update digital archive on regular basis
ELECTRONIC MEDIA DIGITAL ARCHIVE
12x TV channels are monitored and recorded in DGPR for news coverage and future reference
To store TV channel recording 48TB Network Attached Storage (NAS) and Database Server has been installed. Utilization and maintenance of the storage mechanism is main function performed to keep data safe.
Magnetic tapes are used for secondary archiving of video data to make it available for 30 years span
LIVE COVERAGE OF EVENT
For live coverage of important events of Punjab government from remote location, a Digital Mobile News Gathering (DMNG) system has been installed. DMNG Server is controlled from DGPR Server Room where as DMNG manpack has been sent to remote location to live stream the coverage.
PTCL optical fiber high-speed network along with WiFi dongles are utilized to stream data between DMNG server and manpack
GENERAL IT SUPPORT
Installation of operating systems, peripheral drivers, application programmes, and custom made software in desktop and laptop computer of DGPR.
Provision and maintenance of landline and wireless (WiFi) Internet connections within DGPR. Also includes maintenance of Ethernet switches, routers, LAN cables, and optical nodes.
Organizing video conferencing between head office and district offices using Skype technology.
Currently developed high-utility software for DGPR includes:
- Vehicle Management System (VMS) for Technical Section
- Letter Reminder System (LRS) for Administration Section
- E-PAPER software for News Section
- News & Opinion Management (NOM) software for News Section
Devise technical plan for the monitoring, archiving and retrieving of 6x FM Radio channels
Monitoring include the coverage of news of Punjab government on Radio at 36 districts
ELECTRONIC MEDIA COVERAGE
IT Section provide technical support and advise to Electronic Media Section regarding storing, archiving, monitoring, and retrieving of 12x news TV channels.
IT Section provide support regarding the creating and sending of video clips from TV channels to DGPR and Secretary I&C using email, Whatsapp, and DVD/CD.
Round the clock monitoring and coverage of all news and political events on national and international electronic media is supported by IT staff.